The RYC - About Us
The Rainbow Youth Coalition works with three main goals in mind. These goals work towards making safer spaces for LGBTQ youth in the counties of Peterborough, Northumberland, Haliburton and the City of Kawartha lakes.
- Education: We provide workshops to community groups and organizations on the needs of LGBTQ youth and the impact of homonegativity. Our aim is to increase knowledge around LGBTQ issues and build more inclusive communities.
- Outreach: By providing settings and events for LGBTQ youth to meet and socialize, we hope to foster an increase in their self-esteem and confidence in their sexual orientation/gender identity.
- Support: We work to support LGBTQ youth and encourage the development of safer and inclusive spaces for LGBTQ youth.
What We Do: The Dry Details!
The Rainbow Youth Coalition was established in April, 1998 to meet the expressed needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and two spirited youth (LGBTQ) in the counties of Haliburton, Peterborough, Northumberland, and the City of Kawartha Lakes. Requests for information and support from youth and their parents revealed a lack of supportive services for LGBTQ and questioning youth. At the time, a grant of $3000 was secured from the Toronto Coalition for LGBTQ Youth to establish programs and services for LGBTQ youth in the four county area. Coalition members consist of youth, representatives of various organizations and other individuals who support LGBTQ and questioning youth.
We are a coalition of service providers who strive to enrich the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, 2-spirited and questioning youth (ages 14-25) in the counties of Peterborough, Northumberland, Haliburton, and the City of Kawartha Lakes. We do this through education, outreach and support.We work to provide opportunities and encouragment for LGBTQ youth to increase their social networks in these communities.
To provide a forum for planning, developing, coordinating, implementing and evaluating the delivery of programs for LGBTQ youth in the four county area. Coalition members will come together, as appropriate, to develop strategic plans for the delivery of community programs by:
- sharing information/networking,
- fostering effective, ongoing communication among organizations,
- identifying needs and priorities,
- identifying and supporting program resources,
- identifying appropriate service delivery mechanisms,
- developing and implementing appropriate educational resources and training programs,
- evaluating program implementation and outcomes,
- seeking funding for ongoing program operations.
- to draw attention to issues affecting LGBTQ youth living in the four county area,
- to reduce isolation and fear and foster positive growth for LGBTQ youth,
- to reduce the stigma of being LGBTQ in the educational and service delivery sectors,
- to deliver safer sex messages and HIV information, when and where appropriate, to LGBTQ youth,
- to support those in providing informed service and resources for LGBTQ youth in the four county area,
- to create positive, supportive and accessible environments and services for LGBTQ youth,
- to organize and deliver educational and empowering messages to LGBTQ youth in the four county area,
- to provide information and support to the families of LGBTQ youth,
- to ensure that the work of the Coalition is defined by the ongoing participation, advice and expressed needs of LGBTQ youth in the four county area.